A LADY BY THE SEA

A LADY BY THE SEA

Tuesday 16 February 2021


 


The old Bank of New South Wales now a hotel
 on the corner of Pitt, Hunter and O'Connell Streets, Sydney.

 My first job after leaving school  in 1968, I worked on the first floor as a Personal Loans clerk/Electro-file operator (early bank computer). No experience at all - just taught how to answer general loan enquiries and which buttons to push on the machine. Not like now I would have had to have qualifications and years of experience to get a job.

I left 18 months later after the manager of the department verbally abused a female clerk. I still remember the shock I felt listening to the tirade. I had school friends who were public servants and they encouraged me to apply for the public service as the conditions were more favourable to females there. 

I rocked up at lunch time the next day to the Public Service Board - Employment Office. I was asked if I was currently working and where, what qualifications I had. He then asked me why I wanted to work with them and told him I had friends who said it was a great place to work especially for female staff (I don't think I bought a resume with me.) I mainly was just sussing them out to see if I could apply. Next minute I was offered two positions - one in the middle of Sydney's CBD and the other down  near Circular Quay in Loftus Street I picked the later as it would soon move to O"Connell Street in a new building. 

I returned to the bank and handed in my resignation written with help from the senior female staff  so I could come back if I didn't like being a public servant. lol .  Then I had to go home and break the news to my parents - at that time 2 sisters and 1 brother were also employed in the banking industry.

I told my sister when I got home and she suggested I wait till after dinner - Mum and Dad were a bit worried when I ask if I could talk to them - Mum went ballistic when I said I had resigned but Dad said well I hope you have another job lined up.  I said yes and told them I start in 2 weeks - I was going from a 3 weeks leave to 4 weeks leave and also - from 1 week sick leave to 2 weeks sick leave -  and better pay and I didn't have to leave if I got married which is what happened in the bank at that time.



No comments: