A LADY BY THE SEA

A LADY BY THE SEA

Friday 13 August 2010

Pirates of Penzance: With Cat Like Tread

The Pirates of Penzance - Australian production
with Jon English and Simon Gallaher.

In 1984, I took my two eldest children to see this Gilbert and Sullivan musical
at the State Theatre, Sydney with Jon English and Simon Gallaher
playing the leads.

The children absolutely loved it,

Years later, 1994, when my youngest son was old enough to sit through the play, we again went to see the show and also The Mikado and HMS Pinafore by the same production company.

4 comments:

River said...

I love these shows. I have two of them on dvd, but I haven't been able to get HMS Pinafore yet. I think these work so much better as comedies.

val said...

I'm not a great G&S fan, but I have a friend who is, and years ago she got us front row tickets for this at the London Palladium. Paul Nicholas was in it (he was very famous and quite attractive at that time) and he and the other male lead had to come round the edge of the orchestra pit and stand on our side, facing the stage, with their backs to us. They had such lovely bums, I had to sit on my hands to stop myself reaching up and squeezing them!

Frances said...

HMS Pinafore (Aus version) is available online at the ABC Shop or on ebay.
ABC SHOP ONLINE - $36.95.

At the State Theatre show, a rope would be lowered and Jon English would swing out over the heads of the audience.lol.

Thrilling stuff for little kids.

Frances said...

Hi Val,

Jon was born in England, he came out to Australia when he was young and was in the 1972 musical Jesus Christ Superstar(Aust). He played Judas and wore a black and red striped jumpsuit and I remember he performed cartwheels across the stage.

I have been a fan of his ever since. My first stage crush.lol